LASeR means Lightweight application scene representation.
LASeR is a standard dedicated to rich-media interactive and streamable services over mobile.
LASeR is designed for :
New use-cases not taken into account by other technologies
- Connected services sharing and storing data on both side, with frequent updates
- Video streaming centric application with additional synchronized and interactive data
Easier content creation
In addition to traditional rich-media scene creation, LASeR support Opentype fonts which provide a good readability at any size of screen, support importing from other format (ex: Macromedia FlashTM object, Gis maps) and ease the management of any input device.
Satisfying the end-user expectation
Some specifications of LASeR have been defined to leverage the end-user experience with rich-media on a mobile by providing no latency, nice interfaces, smooth navigation within content, ergonomic adaptation to device.
Be easily integrated
Optimizing resources, based on well-know standards, with an approach similar to web, LASeR provides a smooth technological evolution, easily understandable by all actors of mobile and content industry and is easily integrable in the actual mobile architecture.
The Key features of the LASeR Rich-media format are:
- A Scene Description based on SVGT1.2
- Few compatible scene extensions
- A very efficient declarative update mechanism to modify content at low cost (no script)
- Opentype font support ;
- Any input device support ;
- Import other format: SVGT1.1, SVGT1.2, Macromedia Flash objects TM , GIS…
- Embedded 3GP codecs ( e.g. 3GPP video, audio, images…);
- Highly compressed data format
- Triggering and precise synchronisation mechanisms
- Data management mechanism (client and server side)
The benefits of these features are: an easy rich-media application development, a fast rendering (from 10Kbytes/s) and no latency for end-users. LASeR all-in-one format ease LASeR codecs implementation engine deployment thanks to there small footprint implementation (The reference software non optimized in Java (Jare file is around 100Kbytes)
The key features of LASeR Multiplexing format are:
- Synchronisation of all streams and content ;
- Supporting inclusion of a new stream or update wihtin an existing started SAF stream.
- Frame accurate basis ;
- Progressive download ;
- Dynamic updates ;
- Streamable ;
- Network agnostic ( gprs, 2.5G, 3G, DVB-H, DMB…)
- File format agnostic (MP4, 3GP, SAF…)
- Transport format agnostic (HTTP, RTP…)